The avocado seems to have made the news more frequently than any of piece of fruit or veg! Recently blamed as the single reason home ownership is out of reach for so many and an excellent source of fibre and mono saturated fats, the avocado can both give and take from its loyal fans.
In an unexpected turn of events, it has been revealed that in New Zealand there is now a waiting list for avocado seedlings. On top of this, there has also been a recent increase in avocado related crime with thousands of dollars of the fruit being stolen and sold on the avocado black market.
Ōtuatua Public Avocado Orchard
As we head in to summer, we wanted to let you in on a little known secret in Auckland… an avocado orchard where you can gather your own avocados for free. Between November and March each year, you can head to the Ōtuatua Public Avocado Orchard in Mangere and pick your own fresh avocados. On top of the free avocados you will also be visiting one of the most important historical areas in Auckland – Ōtuataua Stonefields.
Ōtuataua Stonefields is a beautiful and peaceful area where you can feel the historical significance with every breath you take. It provides 3 walks for you to enjoy – Geology, Botany and History walks with the Botany walk connecting you to the Manukau Harbour.
Recent research from Puketutu Island just north of Ōtuataua Stonefields has shown archeological evidence dating back 9 centuries . This makes the area one of the earliest known dates of human habitation in New Zealand and seals the area as a must see for any Aucklander.
Earliest known human settlement in New Zealand.
Her are some things to keep in mind when visiting and enjoying the area:
- Help yourself to a maximum of 5 avocados per person. Don’t take avocados in order to sell them …
- Don’t climb the trees or break branches in order to get your avocados
- Please be respectful of the area. Tangata whenua have asked visitors don’t eat or drink along the trails (water excluded)
- It is an offense to remove or interfere with any historic remains, this includes vegetation (think take only pictures, leave only footprints)
- Please do not walk on the top of Puketapapa volcano as it is an area of significance for the local Iwi
- Dogs are welcome on leads
This area has something for the lovers of old and new. Enjoy your day at Ōtuataua Stonefields and your smashed avocado for breakfast the following day.
Ōtuatua Public Avocado Orchard Location
#Avocado Orchard Auckland #Otuataua Stonefields Avocado Orchard #Avocado Orchard Otuataua Stonefields #Auckland Free Avocados #Ōtuatua Public Avocado Orchard